Recruiting new members to your organisation will bring fresh resources and ideas into your group. New members may also help to share the workload it takes to run your organisation and its activities.
While one-off recruitment drives can be useful to quickly boost numbers, they are not always the best way to make sure that your organisation has a constant supply of new members.
With thought and planning, you can ensure that recruitment is a regular part of your operations and contributes to your organisation’s success. Organisations such as Volunteering SA & NT
will advertise your position for free.
The first stage of the planning process is to consider the following points:
- Goals - consider why you want or need members. Think about how many members you will need and the types of members you are looking for.
- Strategies - things to consider may include where you will find new members and how you should approach them.
- Evaluation and continuous improvement - after recruiting new members, it is beneficial for your organisation to consider what worked and what could have been done better.
- consider why you want or need members. Think about how many members you will need and the types of members you are looking for.
When you know what your broad aims and strategies are, it can then be useful to start thinking about the details of how you will make these plans happen.
Tasks to help get your organisation ready for new members and volunteers include:
- decide who will be in charge of recruitment
- formulate a marketing plan
- create membership and volunteer forms
- put policies in place for involving members and volunteers in your organisation
- design position descriptions for volunteers
- put policies in place for screening volunteers
- develop systems to gather and store member and volunteer information
- put together volunteer induction and training programs.
More informationOn this site
Resources for community organisationsManaging a community organisationFrequently asked questions about community organisations
Finding helpers for your community organisation
- Our CommunityManaging volunteers
- Australian Institute of Community Practice and GovernanceDownloads
Media Guide for Community Groups