To be eligible for a concession you must have one of the following:
- be a pensioner and hold a Pensioner Concession Card
- Department of Veterans Affairs Gold Card
- hold a Centrelink Low Income Health Care Card
- be able to demonstrate that you, your spouse or domestic partner are on a low income.
You can check your eligibility and apply for state government concessions using the Concessions finder.
Consideration of special circumstances for water use
If you or someone in your household has a medical condition or a particular need that requires the use of a lot of water this can be taken into consideration by Housing SA.
Special circumstances can include:
- medical issues - eg kidney disease requiring home dialysis
- severe or long term disability - eg needing frequent baths to maintain core body temperature.
Contact Housing SA to apply for special consideration.
Using water wisely
Sensible water use is encouraged at all times under Water Wise Measures.
If you are concerned about someone’s misuse of water during water restriction periods call the Water Restriction Hotline on phone 1800 130 952.
Disputing a water charge
If you are in a property with a shared meter and believe there may be a leak contact Housing SA Maintenance as soon as possible to organise an investigation.
If your property is on a separate water meter check to see if there is a leak.
To test if there is a leak
Step 1 - Take a reading from the water meter last thing at night.
Step 2 - Take a second reading first thing the next morning.
Step 3 - Make sure that no water is used between the readings - eg flushing the toilet.
Step 4 - If the water meter reading has changed this may indicate that you have a leak.
Step 5 - Contact Housing SA Maintenance as soon as possible and ask them to investigate.
If there is no leak and you still believe your water charge is incorrect you can dispute it by contacting Housing SA.
Maintenance for a public rental property can be organised by phoning Housing SA Maintenance on 131 288 between 7am and 7pm.
Emergency repairs - eg gas leaks, can be reported by phoning 131 288 at any time.
How water charges are calculated
You pay for the amount of water you use if you live in a public rental property with a separate meter.
If you are living in a public rental property in a site with a shared water meter - eg a group of units, the first 30% of the total water bill for the group is paid by Housing SA. The remaining 70% of the bill is divided up equally among the units sharing the meter.
SA Water sets the charges for water and reads the meter. The bill is sent to Housing SA who will invoice you for the cost of water you use.
If you, someone in your household or your guest accidentally or intentionally damage a water meter you will be charged for the cost of repairing or replacing it as a maintenance charge.
If you don’t pay your water bill this will become a debt that you owe Housing SA. If you are having trouble paying your water bill you can make an affordable repayment arrangement with Housing SA.
On this siteWater use for households Paying Housing SA accounts Having difficulty with paying a Housing SA account
Other websitesSA Water
Water usage (PDF 622KB
) (Word 795KB
)Save money on water and energy bills
For an alternative version of this document contact Housing SA